LFC Red Recipe - Chilli with Quorn Mince
A tasty and filling classic chilli with Quorn Mince in a spicy tomato sauce with a good sprinkle of fresh herbs! Mona chose this classic chilli as a Red Recipe because Quorn Mince is a sustainable protein source and source of fibre for people and the planet, and you can’t go wrong with a warming and totally tasty chilli. In Mona’s words “Protein is one of the most important sources to aid performance, but it also helps our overall health – even if we are not top flight athletes!”
13.6 g of fat
- 300g Quorn Mince
- 1 onion
- 2 red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 2 x 15ml spoons vegetable oil
- 1 x 5ml spoon chilli powder, hot or mild, to your taste
- ½ x 5ml spoon smoked paprika
- 2 x 5ml spoon ground cumin
- 1 x 15ml spoon tomato puree
- 1 x 15ml spoon malt extract (e.g. Marmite)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml tomato passata
- 100ml reduced salt vegetable stock
- 200g red lentils
- 200g tinned kidney beans in water
- 1 cube dark chocolate – optional
- salt to taste (optional)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- To serve
- 300g brown rice
- 320g kale
- 320g broccoli
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Cut the chillies in half, remove the seeds and chop finely.
- Crush the garlic cloves.
- Deseed the pepper and cut into 2cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the chillies, garlic and red pepper and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomato puree and malt extract, stir well.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, passata and vegetable stock.
- Place the lentils in a sieve and rinse under cold running water then add to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then turn down to a simmer (gently bubbling) for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Quorn Mince, bring back to a simmer and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Drain the kidney beans and add to the pan.
- Stir in 1 cube of dark chocolate (if using) and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Taste and check the seasoning.
- Chop the coriander leaves for garnish.
For the rice
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Use a lid to speed up the process.
- Add the rice, stir and bring back to the boil. Half cover with a lid and cook according to pack instructions.
- At the end of the cooking time, drain the rice through a sieve
For the kale and broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into even sized florets.
- Place the broccoli and kale into a steamer and cook for 6-7 minutes or until just tender – test with a sharp knife, if it goes into the stem of the broccoli easily, it is cooked
- Place a quarter of the rice onto each plate, top with Quorn chilli, divide the broccoli and kale between the plares, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review