Vegetarian Aubergine Moussaka with Quorn Mince
This delicious vegetarian twist on a classic Greek moussaka recipe, made with Quorn Mince and aubergine is a delicious weekend treat that the whole family will enjoy.
20 g of fat
- 300g Quorn Mince
- 250g potatoes, sliced into 1cm sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 250ml tomato passata
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 2 medium aubergines, sliced into 1cm slices and griddled
- 200ml unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1 free range egg
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of sugar
- 50g vegetarian parmesan
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C, grease one medium pie dish
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt, roughly mix and place on a baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes, turning half way. Turn oven down to 180⁰C.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, gently fry the onion on a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the oregano, paprika, cinnamon and dried mint and fry for 1 minute. Add the tomato passata, vegetable stock and sundried tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste. Take off the heat and stir in the Quorn Mince.
- Whilst the Quorn Mince is simmering, griddle the sliced aubergine for 30 seconds on each side.
- Lightly whisk the yogurt, egg, nutmeg and sugar together.
- Split the aubergines into 3, place one layer on the greased dish top followed by a layer of roasted potato slices then a layer of mince and press down and repeat, finishing with a layer of aubergines and press down.
- Pour over the yoghurt mixture, allowing it to trickle through any gaps in the potato layer then sprinkle with vegetarian parmesan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until browned on top and piping hot.
- Stand for 5-10 minutes after cooking.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Disappointing recipe, wouldn't make again. Potatoes are far too thick cut to cook in given time. By the the time potatoes were cooked, everything else was very over cooked. No salt in recipe! It definitely needs salt. I've made other Quorn recipes which have been very good, this one isn't.
A challenging recipe (as advised). No cooking time - only increase 10 - 15 minutes if a large dish. Not for a first timer.
It doesn't say in the recipe when or where to add the stock. I added it to the passata sauce as it seemed most logical. Cooking times were accurate and taste was adequate. I microwaved my potatoes slices for speed.
Lovely dish! I personally LOVE Quorn, so it was a real treat for me as a vegetarian to make one.
I loved this dish. I made it without the potatoes (just for ease) and was delicious. Will definitely be making again.
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review