Vegan Brilliant Bangers and Mash
This comforting classic dish has had a flavour reboot, adding sweet roasted garlic to the mash – a match made in heaven! Our trick for pumping up the onion gravy – caramelised onion marmalade adds depth whilst the mustard adds zing. Perfect for smothering the brilliant bangers in!
- 4 Quorn Brilliant Bangers
- 200g frozen peas
- For the roasted garlic mash:
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 500g (approx 3 medium) peeled red skinned potatoes
- 25g vegan butter/spread
- ½ tsp black pepper (approx. 2.5g)
- For the red onion gravy:
- 2 x red onions
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 15g plain flour
- 1 tbsp caramelised onion marmalade/chutney
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ vegetable stock cube dissolved in 300ml boiling water
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees fan. Place the bulb of garlic in a sheet of tin foil and drizzle with a splash of water. Wrap up the garlic in the foil then place in the oven for 30 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised.
- Cook the Quorn brilliant bangers according to the cooking instructions.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large 2 inch chunks, place in a pan of water and boil until softened – around 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and allow to steam dry in the pan for a couple of minutes.
- Take the roasted garlic bulb and squeeze out the roasted flesh, adding to the potatoes along with the vegan butter and pepper. Mash together until smooth and season to taste.
- Thinly slice the red onions then place in a medium sized pan with the olive oil, salt and pepper on a medium low heat. Cook gently for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are reduced and caramelised.
- Stir in the onion marmalade, wholegrain mustard and plain flour and cook for a minute or so then add the vegetable stock. Turn up the heat and keep stirring to make a thick, glossy gravy. Season to taste.
- Cook the peas according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the bangers with the mash, peas and onion gravy.
for a creamier mash with more flavour add some extra vegan butter, a pinch of salt and a splash of soy cream
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review