Vegan Toad In The Hole
One of our favourite food bloggers, Romy London, has created a vegan version of a British classic; Toad in the Hole especially for us at Quorn – using our brand new Brilliant Bangers Vegan Sausages. See her simple to follow recipe below served with a delicious homemade mushroom gravy. The perfect addition to your next meat-free Sunday roast.
Recipe by Romy London
- 4 Quorn Brilliant Bangers
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 100g plain flour
- 130g cornflour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional, for colour)
- 320ml plant milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- For the mushroom gravy:
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 250ml dairy-free cream
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp corn starch + 30ml water
For the mushroom gravy
- Melt the dairy free butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Sautee the mushrooms, onion and garlic until softened - around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tamari soy sauce, dairy-free cream, and vegetable stock. Bring the gravy to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a processor or use an immersion blender and blitz until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn-starch and water. Add to the gravy and gently heat for 2-3 minutes until the thickened.
For the toad in the hole
- Preheat oven to 220C and grease a deep casserole dish with a little oil
- Place the Quorn Brilliant Bangers into the casserole dish and roast in the oven for around 10 minutes or until golden
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, sift in the plain flour and corn flour and mix to combine. Add the baking powder, baking soda, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- In a separate jug, combine the plant milk with the apple cider vinegar and mustard. Set aside to curdle for around 10 minutes
- Whisk together both the wet and dry ingredients to form a fluffy Yorkshire pudding batter
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and pour the batter around the Brilliant Bangers. Roast for around 10 minutes until the top of the Yorkshire pudding is golden. Serve with the mushroom gravy and your favourite veggies!
Recipe by Romy London
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review