Vegetarian Sweet Potato Cottage Pie with Quorn Mince
This easy cottage pie recipe with Quorn Mince has a delicious twist! Apricots, chickpeas and a tasty topping of sweet potato lightly spiced with ras el hanout, give a delicious Lebanese style flavour to this classic family favourite. Recipe courtesy of the Vegetarian Society.
A Little Effort
6.2 g of fat
20 g of fibre
- 200g Quorn Mince
- 1000g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp ras-el hanout spice mix
- 75g dried apricots, chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 30g tomato puree
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 150ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put a large pan of water on to boil. Place the sweet potatoes into the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until soft. When done, drain in a colander and leave to one side.
- While the potatoes are cooking, start making the filling. Heat half the vegetable oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes until softened.
- Next add the ras-el hanout spice to the onions and fry for one minute then add the apricots and coat in the spice mixture. Pour in the chopped tomatoes along with the tomato puree. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the pan.
- Add the stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Stir the Quorn Mince into the sauce and simmer for a further 12-15 minutes until piping hot.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan, add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds until the seeds begin to pop. Return the sweet potato to the pan and reheat gently. When the potatoes are hot mash with a potato masher.
- Preheat the grill on a moderate heat. Season the Quorn mixture and transfer to an oven proof dish then top with the sweet potato mash. Place under the grill for 5 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the sweet potato topping is golden and crisp.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
EXCELLENT, ... easy to do and delicious.
Really nice and full fill, maybe I would add more ras-el hanout spice to the filling next time to give more flavour
Delicious! And super easy to make.
Husband loved this so much
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review