Quorn Vegetarian Mince Sloppy Joes With Parmesan Crisps
Serve up these Quorn Vegetarian Mince Sloppy Joes for a delicious twist on a dinner-time classic that the whole family can get stuck into. For our delicious Vegetarian Sloppy Joes recipe, add a dash of smoky barbecue sauce to the mince filling if you like a little extra zing. This tasty mid-week recipe will be your new family favourite, and for less than £1.25 per serving!
- 300g Quorn Vegetarian Mince (Frozen)
- 2 large carrots (300g)
- 2 medium brown onions (300g)
- 4 sticks celery (300g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 4 x soft burger buns
- 60g parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
- Watercress salad
- Peel and finely chop the carrots, onions and celery. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the chopped veg along with a pinch of salt. Cook whilst stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, then add to the pan along with the Quorn Mince. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until the garlic starts to soften.
- Add the tomato puree, dried oregano, Worcestershire Sauce and BBQ sauce and stir to coat everything evenly. Let it cook for a couple of minutes, then add the plum tomatoes, crushing them in your hands or with a wooden spoon to break them up into the sauce.
- Fill both tins halfway with water, give them a swirl to get the last of the tomato out and add to the pan. Stir to mix everything well and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and reduced.
- Preheat your oven to 200c/180c fan/gas mark 6. Line two trays with baking parchment.
- Halve your burger buns and lay cut-side down on one tray, then grate your Parmesan and arrange in 4 piles on the other tray. Put both trays into the oven and cook for 5 minutes, or until the parmesan is melted and bubbling and the buns are toasted.
- To serve, spoon the ragu onto a toasted bun and top with a parmesan crisp. Enjoy with green side salad (optional).
TIP: This recipe also works well with leftover Bolognese ragu, simply season to taste and enjoy.
Calculations based on average cost of ingredients purchased from Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda and Morrisons, correct as of 14th August 2022. Prices may vary.
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.