Vegan Katsu Curry
Your favourite Japanese staple - made vegan. Try Quorn Crunchy Fillet Burgers in this flavoursome dish, made with homemade creamy katsu curry sauce. This delicious vegan katsu curry is both packed full of flavour and is sure to be a family favourite. With taste and texture so chicken like you won't believe Quorn Crunchy Fillet Burgers aren't chicken! Serve with your favourite sticky rice or pre-made if you're short on time.
Recipe by Lucy Parissi
A Little Effort
16 g fat
- 4 Quorn Crunchy Fillet Burgers (2 packs)
- Sushi rice or your choice of rice
- Japanese seven spice blend seasoning or sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely diced
- White cabbage, shredded
- Radishes, finely sliced
- Cucumber, sliced
- Tonkatsu sauce (optional), to drizzle
- For the Katsu sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 360 ml (1 ½ cups) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (or 2 tsp cornflour)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup , or to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 bay leaf
- 240 ml (1 cup) unsweetened coconut milk
- Heat oil in a large pan over a low heat. Sauté the onion and carrots for around 10 minute until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala and turmeric and cook until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock sprinkle with the xanthan gum, stirring well to dissolve it. If using cornflour, combine with a little cold water before stirring into the sauce
- Stir in the maple syrup, soy sauce, bay leaf and coconut milk and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Discard the bay leaf. Blend half of the sauce, until completely smooth using an immersion blender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Cook the Quorn Crunchy Fillet Burgers until golden, for 17-19 minutes. Cool slightly and then slice into strips.
- Divide the sauce between four deep plates. Add a portion of rice and some of the cooked vegetables to each serving and arrange the Quorn Crunchy Fillet Burgers next to it. Drizzle the burger with Tonkatsu sauce, sprinkle with the spring onions and seasoning and serve with the cabbage, radishes and cucumber.
Recipe by Lucy Parissi
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Absolutely amazing! Served with a few air fried aubergine crisps on the side.
Looks like everyone will like it!
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.