- For the burgers:
- 2 packs of Quorn Quarter Pounders
- 4 curly green lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 8 burger pickles
- Tomato ketchup
- For the mac and cheese buns:
- 400g macaroni
- 25g low-fat margarine
- 100g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 300g reduced-fat cheddar, grated
- 50g light cream cheese
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- To make the macaroni cheese, cook the macaroni in a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, put a saucepan over a low heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, stir through 25g flour to create a roux. Gradually add the milk, mixing until you have a smooth sauce. Add the cheddar, cream cheese, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce then transfer to a lined baking tray. Transfer to the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once cooled, use a cookie cutter or chefs ring around 9 cm in diameter to cut out 8 disks for the buns. Set aside.
- In 3 separate bowls, place the remaining flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. Dredge each macaroni cheese bun in the flour, followed by the egg and then breadcrumbs to coat. Set aside.
- Cook the Quorn Quarter Pounders according to packet instructions.
- Using a heavy-based pan, add enough vegetable oil to shallow fry. Fry each bun for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Set aside and drain on a paper towel lined plate or baking rack.
- To assemble the burgers, place a Quorn Quarter Pounder between two mac and cheese buns and top with lettuce, pickles, tomato ketchup and mayonnaise.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review