Ultimate Vegetarian Croque Madame Toasted Sandwich
This Vegetarian Croque Madame Toastie is the ultimate upgrade to your sandwich game. Sourdough bread is loaded with Quorn Finely Sliced Ham Style Slices, creamy bechamel and melted mature cheddar before being topped with a runny fried egg. Get stuck in to this creamy cheesy stack that’s the perfect veggie lunchtime meal or brunch idea.
Recipe by @poppycooks.
- Deli Food Recipes
- Vegan And Vegetarian Sandwich And Wrap Recipes
- Vegetarian Egg Recipes
- Vegan and Vegetarian Breakfast And Brunch Ideas
A Little Effort
- 30g Quorn Finely Sliced Ham Style Slices
- 20g salted butter
- 1½ heaped tablespoons of plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 150g grated cheese
- 2 slices of crusty white bread
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper
- Finely chopped chives (optional)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. Once melted add the flour and stir for around 2 minutes until the doughy mixture starts to come away from the pan to form a loose ball.
- Start adding the milk bit by bit. Only start adding more once everything has been absorbed, continuously stirring.
- Once all the milk has been added and you have a smooth sauce, add in most of the grated cheese. Save some for the top and the layers. Season heavily with salt and pepper and mix well.
- For the quick pickled onions, finely slice the onions and in a small saucepan add the vinegar and sugar. Get it on a high heat and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and stir. Once the sugar has dissolved add the onions and leave to sit until needed.
- To assemble your Vegetarian Croque Madame, get the oven on to the grill setting at the lowest heat setting. Get a frying pan and fry one side of each slice of bread until golden. Add a layer of cheese sauce to the toasted side of bread, then layer your Quorn Finely Sliced Ham Style Slices, a sprinkle of cheese and another cheese sauce spread slice of bread. Then top the toastie with more cheese sauce and another sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and leave to get melty, gooey and golden. This should take around 4-8 minutes.
- In this time just fry off and egg to your liking and once the sandwich is ready, carefully remove it from the oven, drain off your onions and add some to the top, then your fried egg and then a sprinkle of chopped chives.
Recipe by @poppycooks.
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.