Jamaican Brown Stew with Quorn Vegan Pieces
Turn the vegetables you have at home into a delicious vegan stew with all the flavours of the Caribbean. With Quorn Vegan Pieces, this Jamaican Brown Stew recipe is a tasty way to reduce food waste and easy to adapt to your favourite veggies!
A Little Effort
- 200g Quorn Vegan Pieces
- 100g Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Carrot, cut into thin rounds
- 1 Large tomato, diced
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 300ml Boiling water or stock
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- One Scotch bonnet chilli, sliced
- 4 Pimento seeds
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brow sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons sauce from the pan
- Start by bringing a deep-based frying pan or casserole pan to a medium/low heat. Add the olive oil, and then add the brown sugar until it creates a caramel, this should take only 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the Quorn Vegan Pieces and allow to caramelise for another 2 minutes, stirring around. If the brown sugar sticks to some of the Quorn Pieces or the pan, that’s ok, as it will be deglazed. Add some of the boiling water or stock here if needed.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, tomato, Scotch bonnet, pimento seeds, garlic and thyme. Add a splash of the boiling water/stock here if needed, and saute for another 2 - 4 minutes till fragrant.
- Add the umami paste and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes, this will take away any of the raw flavour from the tomato paste.
- Now add the stock or boiling water to deglaze the pan, making sure you use a wooden spoon to get the brown bits off the pan. Bring to a boil with the pan covered for 5-8 minutes to cook the carrots and then add the cornflour slurry and stir to thicken the sauce. Cook for a further few minutes and then serve alongside some of your favourite sides!
Zero Waste Tip: save your carrot tops to make into a delicious pesto!
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Loved this, added some spiced vegan chorizo style sausages and it was great!
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review