Crispy Nuggets and Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Have dinner on the table in a flash with this speedy recipe. It’s a healthier version, using reduced fat dairy products and including butternut squash as one of your five a day. The kids will love this!
- Meat Free Burger Recipes
- Vegan And Vegetarian Traditional British Food
- Pie & Pastry Recipes
- Back to School Recipes
11.4 g fat
- 1 pack of Quorn Crispy Nuggets
- 250 g wholewheat penne
- 200 g butternut squash, peeled and cut in to small cubes
- 20 g low fat margarine
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- 100 g reduced fat cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5g chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220°C / Fan 200°C / Gas 7.
- Place the butternut squash in to a microwave safe bowl and submerge in water. Cover in cling film and pierce a few holes to allow the air to escape. Place in the microwave on a high heat for 8 minutes.
- Whilst the butternut squash is cooking, cook the pasta for two minutes less than according to packet instructions. Set aside and reserve 1 ladle of pasta water.
- To make the cheese sauce, add the margarine in to a pan and place on a low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir to create a roux. Gradually add the milk and continue to stir until you have a smooth sauce. Add 80g of the grated cheese and the reserved pasta water to the sauce and stir until melted.
- Mix the pasta with the cheese sauce and the butternut squash. Transfer to an oven-proof dish and arrange the Quorn Crispy Nuggets on top. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place in the centre of your oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Serve with a selection of fresh vegetables.
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.