Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
The classic Southern dish gets a vegan upgrade! Though traditionally eaten for breakfast, our Vegan Biscuits and Gravy made with Quorn Brilliant Bangers can make for a delicious meal at any time of the day. Try homemade biscuits (think savoury scone) with thick and creamy vegan sausage and mushroom stew - the ultimate comfort food for cold mornings.
Recipe by Dom in the Kitchen
A Little Effort
- 4 Quorn Brilliant Bangers, finely chopped
- A little olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 70g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 120ml vegetable stock
- 180ml almond milk, unsweetened
- For the homemade biscuits
- 240ml almond milk, unsweetened
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 275g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 60g non-dairy, unsalted butter or spread
To make the vegan biscuits
- Preheat oven to 220C (fan) and prepare a baking tray with a layer of baking parchment.
- Pour the almond-milk into a measuring jug and add a squeeze of lemon. This will create a vegan buttermilk which is the true secret to excellently fluffy biscuits.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix them together with a whisk. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the ingredients together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and, using a rounded butter knife, stir gently while pouring in the almond milk mixture. Add it a dash at a time until you can form a tacky dough.
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and gently form it into a 1-inch-thick disk. Use a round cutter to form at least 6 biscuits and place them onto the baking tray. Brush the top of each biscuit with a little melted dairy-free butter. Bake for 10-15 minutes until they are risen and golden.
To make the gravy
- While your biscuits are baking, gently heat a little olive oil in a pan. Add the chopped Brilliant Bangers and sauté for a few minutes until they become golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and sauté for at least 8 mins until the onions are soft and the mushrooms have picked up a little colour. Season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Stir the sausages back in.
- Combine the veg stock and the almond milk in a jug.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the flour so that everything is evenly coated. Let it cook gently for a minute or two, then pour in ¾ of the stock and almond milk mix and stir well. Let the whole dish gently bubble away while stirring frequently. You may want to add a little more stock as it thickens depending on the consistency you want. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tear the biscuits in half and cover them with a generous serving of vegan sausage gravy poured on top.
Recipe by Dom in the Kitchen
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.