Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Quorn Mince
Turn the last of some store cupboard staples into a spectacular salad. Using Quorn Mince, a mix of grains and pulses, and plenty of fresh vegetables, this flavourful salad uses what you have on hand to reduce food waste and create a delicious lunch or dinner!
A Little Effort
- 3/4 cups (or 1/2 bag) Quorn Mince
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pearl couscous
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup split dried chickpeas
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 radish, chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- small bunch coriander, chopped
- 10-15 mint leaves, julienned
- 1 tbs sumac
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs nigella seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, bring the water and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to boil. Add in the pearl couscous, orzo, quinoa, and split dried chickpeas. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer between 20-25 minutes. Once cooked, drain the excess water and rice under cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent everything from sticking.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and add the chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves. Sauté for 3-5 minutes and add in the cumin seeds. The mixture should be fragrant and the cumin toasted after 3 minutes. Then add in the Quorn Mince, ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste. Stir over medium heat for 8 minutes and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining olive oil, 1 garlic cloves, sumac, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in the pearl couscous mixture, Quorn Mince, chopped vegetables, fresh coriander, and mint, and nigella seeds. Then serve!
Recipe by Supal Desai
Zero Waste Tip: store any unused ingredients properly in sealed containers and refrigerate to prolong shelf life.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Perfect healthy dish with so many nutritious ingredients that I make for my vegetarian mum! Now I feel even better about it with the reduced carbon footprint :)
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review