Vegan Festive Sausage Rolls
The ultimate festive party food has got to be the humble sausage roll! Combine Quorn Brilliant Bangers with your favourite stuffing mix for this delicious Christmas treat. Made with homemade vegan pastry or readymade puff pastry sheets if you're short on time.
Recipe by Dom in the Kitchen
A Little Effort
- 1 pack chilled Quorn Brilliant Bangers, finely chopped
- 250g stuffing mix
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- A handfuls of cooked chestnuts
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary and sage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- For the pastry
- 60g vegan butter
- 200g vegan butter, grated and then frozen
- 350g cold plain flour (simply pop it in the freezer the night before you make)
- 150ml ice cold water mixed with a tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the vegan egg wash
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp agave nectar
For the pastry
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and using your fingertips, quickly rub in the 60g of vegan butter or spread. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix in the water and lemon juice, a tablespoon at a time. You want to add enough liquid to form a firm dough that isn’t too tacky.
- On a floured surfance, knead the dough for a couple of minutes then wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for around 10 mins.
- Remove from the frigde and roll the dough out into a long rectangle with the short side nearest you. Sprinkle the bottom 2/3rds of the rectangle with half the grated frozen vegan butter, pushed down into the dough slightly. Fold over the top un-buttered third towards you and then fold the bottom third back over the top so that you have created 6 layers of dough/butter/dough/butter/dough/butter.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees and roll it out again into a rectangle and repeat the above with the remaining vegan butter. Roll it our again after this and fold, then wrap and refrigerate for a good hour.
- Repeat the roll and fold process again three more times (without refridgeration). After the 5th roll and fold, wrap it and pop it into the fridge for at least an hour before using.
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Place the Quorn Brilliant Bangers into a bowl and mash them up with a fork. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, rehydrate your stuffing mix according to the packet instructions and add in the olive oil, mix well.
- Sauté off the onions. mushrooms and garlic and cook until soft, then add the herbs and seasoning and cook until the mushrooms have some colour.
- Combine the mushroom mix with the stuffing and mashed Brilliant Bangers in a large bowl. Crumble in some cooked chestnuts and stir well. Set aside to cool whist you roll out your pastry.
- Slice the pastry in half lengthways, then generously lay a sausage shape of mix down each middle. Wet the edges of the pastry with a little water before rolling them up, then cut them into bite-sized slices and place them on a baking tray. Repeat for the second strip of pastry.
- Make the vegan egg wash by combining the almond milk, vegan butter and agave in a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and beat well. Brush the wash onto the top of the sausage rolls.
- Bake the sausage rolls for 30 mins or until golden and enjoy!
Recipe by Dom in the Kitchen
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review