Vegetarian Aubergine & Butternut Squash Lasagne with Quorn Mince
Lasagne but not how you know it! Our low-cal recipe layers Quorn Mince with tomato, aubergine and butternut squash for a healthier take on the family favourite - one that's free-from gluten and meat! Try it tonight.
A Little Effort
18 g of fat
- 1 300g pack Quorn Mince
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ medium red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 low sodium and gluten free stock cube + 150ml hot water
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 75g ground almonds
- 2 large aubergines (approx 500g)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthways and deseeded
- 4–5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 25g flaked almonds
- A large handful of basil leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Cook the onions in 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat for 8 minutes until golden. Add the garlic, chilli and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for a couple more minutes, then add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, stock and sugar. Simmer for 30–40 minutes, uncovered, or until the sauce has reduced and is lovely and thick. Stir every so often.
- Add the Quorn Mince & cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste and add the parsley and ground almonds.
- Meanwhile cut the aubergines and squash into long, narrow 5mm thick slices. Brush with the remaining oil, season and lay out on two large baking trays in single layers. Top with the thyme and roast at the top of the oven for 25 minutes, swapping the trays around halfway, until both vegetables are tender and beginning to brown.
- Oil a deep casserole dish. Start with the six biggest squash slices, top them with sauce, then add a layer of aubergine, more sauce and so on until you have finished the ingredients. Finish with a sauce layer. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and chopped basil.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a skewer will glide easily through the lasagne from top to bottom. Garnish with a sprig of basil before serving. Serve with ciabatta and freshly dressed salad leaves.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review