Gyoza can be steamed or fried and are quick and simple to make! Swap out the staple ingredient of pork and try our version using Quorn Mince and delicious veggies. We'd recommend as a quick snack when you're on the go or pre-main meal starter to work up your appetite.
A Little Effort
5.9 g fat
- 200g of Quorn Mince, defrosted
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- Fresh ginger, 4cm piece, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bird's eye chillies
- 1/2 bunch of spring onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 packet wonton wrappers, or gyoza
- Dipping sauce:
- 5 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 bird's eye chillies, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Combine all the dipping sauce ingredients and set aside
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in enough hot water to cover for 1 hour
- Chop the mushrooms fine in a food processor. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to coat and bake for about 30 minutes until dry and brown. Once baked, combine in a bowl the Quorn Mince.
- Blitz soaked shiitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic and chilli in a blender. Add to Quorn Mince and mushrooms with the spring onions, soy sauce and freshly ground pepper.
- Keeping the rest of the gyoza wrappers covered with plastic wrap, lay one on a clean work surface. Add about 7 1/2 tbsp of filling to the middle of the wrapper. Moisten the edge furthest away from you, fold over and seal. Start at the centre and work outwards to each side in turn, making little pleats in the layer facing you as you seal.
- Fry bottoms until brown, then add 100ml water, cover and steam-fry for 5 minutes. Remove when water has been evaporated and crisped up again.
- Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!
Frying your mixture and leaving to cool will enhance the umami richness of the shiitake mushrooms
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Fantastic dish, really enjoyed making this!
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.