Smoky Roasted Pepper Lasagne with Quorn Mince
Look at the layers in this Smoky Roasted Pepper Lasagne with Quorn Mince made by our friends at MOB.
Roasted peppers and chipotle flakes lend ridiculous depth and smokiness to this delicious Quorn Mince ragu.
This is the perfect roasted pepper pasta comfort food to share with friends and an all round winner for leftover lunches.
Recipe by MOB.
A Little Effort
- 600g Quorn Mince
- 4 Red peppers
- 400g Tin whole plum tomatoes
- 30g Dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 Large red onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Bay leaf
- 50g Butter
- 45g Flour
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- 700ml Whole milk
- 150g Cheddar
- 15 Dried lasagne sheets
- 100g Mozzarella
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Cut your peppers in half, remove their stalks and deseed. Pop them on a baking tray and roast skin side up for 30 mins until softened with charred skins.
- Cover your baking tray with a kitchen towel to allow the peppers to steam and cool, then peel off and discard the skins. Whizz your pepper flesh in a food processor along with your plum tomatoes
- Add dried porcini mushrooms into a heatproof jug and pour over 400ml boiling water. Set aside for 20 mins.
- Finely chop your onions and grate your garlic.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add your onion and fry for 15 mins until softened and starting to caramelise. Add your garlic, chipotle chilli flakes and tomato puree and cook for 2 mins more.
- Add frozen Quorn Mince into the pan and fry for 5 minutes until coated in the onion
- mixture. Pour in the red pepper and tomato mixture along with your porcini mushrooms in their liquid and a bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins until reduced and fragrant. Season
- to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whilst your ragu simmers, make the white sauce. Melt your butter in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Once foaming, add your flour and smoked paprika and mix to a paste. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the milk in small increments, beating all the while to ensure that you have a smooth mixture before adding more milk. Once all the milk is added, bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to thicken. Add your cheddar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour a little white sauce in a base of your baking dish, followed by a little ragu.
- Arrange your lasagne sheets neatly on top, snapping sheets where necessary to plug the gaps. Pour over 1/3rd of your remaining ragu followed by 1/3rd of your remaining sauce, then more lasagne sheets. Continue like this until you are out of all your mixtures.
- Mix the top layer so that the ragu and white sauce combine, pushing it all the way to the edges so the lasagne sheets are totally covered. Sprinkle with mozzarella, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes once out the oven, then serve with a crisp green salad.
Recipe by MOB.
If you don't have enough time to roast your own, you could always use ready-roasted jarred peppers. They'll add a similar sweetness to this delicious dish!
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.