Vegetarian Beef Casserole With Dumplings
Try a meat-free twist on this tasty vegetarian beef casserole with fluffy dumplings. Bursting with rich flavours using our Quorn Beef Roast. Perfect for cold wintry evenings.
A Little Effort
29 g of fat
- 1 pack Quorn Beef Roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 onions sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 medium swede, chopped into chunks
- 150ml red wine
- 500ml meat-free stock
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3tbps of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic Vinegar
- For the Dumplings
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g suet
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Remove the Quorn Beef Roast from packaging and chop into large chunks.
- For the stew, heat the oil and butter into an overn-proof casserole dish over a medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, leek and swede for a couple of minutes until slightly softened. Add the flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, stock and herbs. Add the beef roast chunks. Cover with lid and transfer to the oven for 1 hour to cook through.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings by sifting the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the suet and enough water to form a thick, sticky dough.
- With floured hands, roll the dough into small balls a spoonfull at a time.
- Remove casserole dish from oven and add dumplings on top of the stew. Recover, and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Lovely tasting stew and easy to make, can also use the chicken style Quorn roast, as it absorbs the stock flavour the same
The family loved it! I made it with gluten free dumplings and beef strips.
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.