Quorn Vegetarian Steak Strips & Ale Pie
The ultimate Sunday pie! Use Quorn Vegetarian Steak Strips and your favourite pale ale to create a vegetarian steak and ale pie to die for. Fluffy mash and seasonal veg make the perfect sides to our vegetarian steak and ale pie - and don't forget the gravy!
A Little Effort
- 300g Quorn Vegetarian Steak Strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced- portabello are best if you can get them
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- 100ml pale ale
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 generous teaspoon tomato purée
- ½ tsp yeast extract
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 220g puff pastry for top of pie
- 1 egg to glaze
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add the onion, carrot and celery and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until softened and starting to brown, then add the mushrooms and the garlic and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes until the mushrooms have softened. Toss in the Quorn Vegetarian Steak Strips and stir all of these ingredients together
- Add the brown sugar and cornflour and continue to cook gently for a minute, then add the pale ale, crumbled stock cube, tomato purée, yeast extract, and herbs
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened and bubbling. Season to taste. If the sauce is a little too thick, add 2 tbsp of water
- Place the steak and mushroom filling into an ovenproof dish, moisten the edges of the dish with a little beaten egg, cover with puff pastry, trim the edges and glaze with a little more beaten egg and pop into the oven, for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden
- Serve with a selection of seasonal vegetables of your choice
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
How many calories per serving is this please?
Can this be reheated to eat the next day to save wasting leftovers?
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.