Vegetarian Kung Pao Quorn
Enjoy all the best bits of this classic Chinese takeaway – made vegetarian by subbing the stir-fried chicken for tender Quorn Pieces with our Kung Pao Quorn – this is the perfect combination of salty, sweet and spicy flavour! It’s packed full of dried chillies, Sichuan peppercorns and peanuts for a mouth-watering bite. Make it at home better than a Chinese take out!
Serve alongside your favourite sides for the ultimate Chinese banquet at home.
Recipe by MOB.
- 500g Quorn Pieces
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 Tsp shaoxing wine
- 6 Spring onions
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 4cm Knob of ginger
- 10 Dried long chillies
- 1 Tsp szechuan peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1 Tbsp shaoxing wine
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tsp Cornflour
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar
- 50g Salted peanuts
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Coat the Quorn Pieces with 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of cornflour, 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine and a pinch of salt.
- Chop up the white of the spring onions into large chunks, a similar size to the Quorn Pieces. Finely slice the green part and keep it separate. Grate the ginger and the gar-lic.
- Chop off the stems of the dried chillies. Take out the seeds and the stems, then cut the chillies to a similar size as the Quorn Pieces.
- Bash the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar.
- In a bowl make the sauce; mix 100ml water, 1 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar, 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of cornflour, 1 tsp of sesame oil and a pinch of sugar.
- Heat up a wok with a small glug of oil and gently fry the peanuts. Remove and set aside.
- Add a big glug of oil to the wok and fry the Quorn Pieces for a few mins.
- Add the dried chillies and Szechuan peppercorns. Keep everything continuously mov-ing for 2 mins on high heat, then add in the ginger, garlic and white spring onions. Toss and cook for 30 seconds, then add in the peanuts. Pour in the sauce and mix well, allow to cook for another minute.
- Transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle with the green spring onions. Serve with rice.
Recipe by MOB.
Leave out the dried chillies if you prefer less heat. These have been added to simply add heat to the dish so feel free to discard if you prefer. You can also substitute half balsamic vin-egar and half apple cider vinegar for Chinese Black Vinegar.
Recipe InspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.